Primary and Junior High school camps of 3, 4, 5 days for young eco-explorers
Best Practices for the Environmental Sustainability
The City of Magliano Sabina and the Magliano Sabina eco-Hostel offer 3, 4, 5 day School Camps.
A cultural experience on best practices for the environmental sustainability, through participation in educational and recreational activities, in collaboration with the local community.
The aim of these school camp activities is:
- to bring young people closer to responsible and sustainable best practices
- to stimulate climate change awareness
- to educate to ecology as an ethical expression of an advanced society that respects nature.
The school camps are especially aimed to groups of:
- primary school students: Italian “scuola elementare”, classes III – IV – V, or international grades 4, 5, 6
- junior high school students: Italian classes I – II – III media, or international grades 7,8,9
The school camps can last 3, 4, 5 days with a home-base accommodation at the Magliano Sabina eco-Hostel.
Laboratory- Excursions – Education given in the School Camps
1. Educational Project: renewable energy and best environmental practices
- Visit to the hydropower plant of the city
- Visit to the photovoltaic plant of the city
- Ecological fountains
- Electric mobility and municipal recharging points
- No Waste Mediterranean diet: made by the students of the Istituto Alberghiero (Hotel School)
- Showing of the Magliano Sabina eco-Hostel project
2. Educational Project: Culture, Nature and Environment
- Guided tour of the artistic sites of the territory
- Nature hikes and educational labs on the environment – with a certified environmental hiker
- Sustainable Cinema at Teatro Manlio, Magliano Sabina – screening of a kids movie on the topic of
- Visit to Biological Farm Cupidi with educational labs led by an agronomist doctor. The Biological Farm Cupidi is equipped with suitable teaching facilities: an interactive whiteboard classroom and audio-video systems
3. Educational Project: the Egg Industry and Kitchen Laboratory
- Visit to holdings of laying hens
- Collection of eggs for the kitchen laboratory activity
- Fresh eggs observation, recognition method and egg structures: what is it composed of? Why? What is it for?
- Animal observation, animal care and feeding guided visit
- Aviary and observation area: ornamental hens, ducks, geese, pheasants, pigeons, rabbits, goats, piglets. Each pair of participants will receive a basket with corn, wheat, barley, etc.
4. Educational Project: the Garden
- Visit a market garden and observe seasonal vegetables and fruits. Teaching on garden practices
- Laboratory: the students will perform an ecological transplant. Each participant will be free to take his/her own plant home
5. Educational Project: From Flour to Bread
- The Wheat: botanical characteristics, sowing and harvesting time. Collection method. Mycotoxins: what are they? How and where do they develop? Why are they so dangerous?
- Looking at the seed under a stereo-microscope and looking at the bud, starch and yeasts under a microscope. We will use sourdough for bread preparation
- Field visit to observe the cereal growth stage
- Wheat milling and flour live production in the company mill. Bread workshop: bread kneading and baking in the old wood-fired oven
The students will be hosted in the Magliano Sabina eco-Hostel, a true model of environmental sustainability, equipped with 14 very large rooms with private bathrooms: double rooms; rooms with up to 5 beds; bunk beds dorms for 4-6 people, for a total of 50 beds.
The eco-Hostel offers its guests numerous socialization and entertainment areas: a common hall, rooms for events and courses, an equipped area in the garden, a children playground, a basketball court. Plenty of spaces for catering, reading, social areas for telling your own travelling stories, exchanging experiences or simply watching a movie with your friends.
Exit at the A1 Highway tollbooth of Magliano Sabina, and drive up to the eco-Hostel. Easy to reach, either by car or train. The right location for countless tourist destinations.
Eating and moving
The food served during the stay takes into account the healthy nutritional principles of the Mediterranean diet. Kitchen with local products.
The buses for the movements of the participants are ZTL1.
Ecological, Enviroment-friendly, Eco-friendly, Un-expensive!
The Magliano Sabina eco-Hostel is a model of environmental sustainability, offering:
- bike sharing: electric bikes available to guests
- free electric vehicles recharging points
- free stay for those arriving with their own electric car
- renewable energy only: on the terrace, the photovoltaic panels that can be walked on, generate energy that, connected to the needs of the city, feeds the hostel (electricity, heating, hot water, electric bikes charging)
- external led lights for maximum energy saving
- vintage recycled furniture… except for beds, mattresses, pillows and linen, of course! 🙂
The Magliano Sabina eco-Hostel won the 2016 Italian Resilience Award for its ability to share eco-friendly models.